Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Homemade Laundry Detergent - the math


I had a couple of requests to talk about my laundry detergent, so I decided to focus on the money aspect in this post. With the economy like it is I know everyone is trying to save where they can. Be forewarned - I am not a math person, there is a reason I write for a living, so do not expect all of the numbers below to be 100% correct. Thank you for your understanding.

I've been making my own laundry detergent since August, here is the post where you can find the laundry detergent recipe I use. I really like it, it works great on the littlest man's clothes. He's 3 going on 4, so that's saying A LOT! It also lasts forever. I just made my third batch, so that works out to four months per batch. We average three loads a week, so that's 48 loads . The ALL Free & Clear we used to use says it has 32 loads. That's over a month's worth of laundry more! The ALL is about $8, so $.25 a load. Compare that to the numbers below.

Most of the stuff I just got at my local store, including the Dr. Bronner's for my first two batches. For this last batch, I ordered the last Dr. Bronner's from vitacost.com. Their prices are great and they have $4.99 shipping no matter how much you get. The soap I ordered was $2.80 per bar. I saw later they had a three pack for 2.39 per bar. I will definitely buy this one next time. That would make it $.08 per load!!

Conclusion - The homemade laundry detergent is DEFINITELY a good buy!!

The batch itself is a bit more than can fit into my biggest mason jar, so I put the extra in a smaller jar and gave it to a friend. She shared it with her mom and now they both are making their own laundry detergent. I cannot tell you how excited that makes me! I love hearing how I'm making an impact on people and how they view greenness and the planet.

I've been creating some other homemade things at the Green H - those posts will have to come later, it's late here and Shinerman has fallen asleep on the other couch - sorry Mom, sofa :)

3 comments:

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Dentonista said...

So how much do you use per load?

Maxine from Texas said...

Hola Dentonista!
Good question! I use one tablespoon, mostly because the scoop I have is that size. Sometimes, if things are exceptionally dirty, I will put in two scoops.

Do you have plans to make some Homemade Laundry Detergent? I highly recommend it!

Genie said...

This is genius! I'd never have thought to try. I don't think we can get anything but the borax in our little neck of the woods. But we joined Shaklee's and I've been thinking of ordering some of their detergent, we'll see. You've inspired me to do the math!

I look forward to keeping up with your oh-so-green blog. Very very cool.